If you love hot cocoa, you HAVE to try this healthy hot cocoa recipe with turmeric and other anti-inflammatory ingredients.
It’s PERFECT to warm you up after a chilly winter run, shoveling snow, sledding (yes, that totally counts as a workout!)…or simply anytime you feel like it!
I could NOT decide what exactly to call this epic recipe. Superfood hot cocoa? Turmeric hot cocoa? Anti-inflammatory hot cocoa? Chocolate golden milk? Natural ibuprofen in a mug? There is just so much goodness packed in there!
It packs a dose of protein (13 g) for muscle replenishment, plus superfoods with multiple health benefits including immune-boosting and anti-inflammatory properties to reduce inflammation and soreness.
Oh, and it’s DELICIOUS. You won’t even know it’s healthy!
Here are some of the ingredients that make this hot cocoa so special:
- Pure cocoa or cacao powder (cacao is best as it is less processed, but either is good). Yes, chocolate is good for you! (No, candy bars don’t count. Pure unsweetened cocoa is what you want!)
- Coconut oil (virgin and unrefined). Healthy fats + anti-inflammatory properties + many other benefits.
- Turmeric. A superstar superfood with multiple health benefits including reducing inflammation.
- Black pepper. Helps the turmeric absorb in the body.
- Cinnamon. Another awesome spice with many body-boosting properties.
- Milk. For a dose of muscle-loving protein and calcium.
Don’t be afraid of any of these ingredients.
Turmeric and pepper? Whaaaaat?
Just try it – you’ll be pleasantly surprised! It even gets the can-I-have-more stamp of approval from my toddler.
One more thing – you really should use a blender to mix as the instructions say. This ensures no sediment settles on the bottom of your cup and creates a lovely froth on top.
To recap, you get:
Creamy, chocolate-y goodness!
(I had you at chocolate, didn’t I?!)
So…here’s your Perfect Post-Workout Healthy Hot Cocoa Recipe!
Superfood Hot Cocoa
- 1-1/2 c. milk of choice
- 2 Tbsp. cocoa or cacao powder (unsweetened)
- 2 tsp. coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla
- 1/8 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. turmeric powder
- 2 pinches sea salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- Natural sweetener of choice, to taste (try 2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup - or 1/8 tsp. pure stevia to cut calories)
Combine all ingredients in a blender.
Blend until thoroughly mixed and frothy.
Heat to desired temperature (can pour into a saucepan and heat on medium-high, stirring constantly with a whisk, OR pour into a mug and heat in microwave for about 40 seconds).
Enjoy! (I like to indulge with some whipped cream and dark chocolate chips on top!)
Too warm out for hot cocoa? Make some refreshing chocolate milk with homemade chocolate syrup!
Want health/fitness tips, workouts, recipes, humor, and more?
Subscribe to Fit Mix Mom!
We value your privacy and would never spam you
This post contains affiliate links. I am referring you to the products I personally use or recommend. If you purchase items during that browser session, I may receive a small commission. Thank you for your support!